Womens Health is an area in which Chinese medicine shines. Its strongest feature is its ability to treat conditions for which conventional medicine has no explanation or answer. Chinese medicine may be used instead of or in conjunction with Western medicine for the successful treatment of the following conditions:
- Fertility – For many women their inability to conceive cannot be explained by western medicine yet in TCM there is often a reason why and a cure. Acupuncture increases blood flow to the reproductive organs so that eggs and sperm are bathed in nutrient-rich blood while they are maturing. Better quality eggs, endometrial lining and sperm lead to better quality embryos, healthy implantation and pregnancy.
- IVF – studies have shown that acupuncture during IVF almost doubles the chances of conception.
- Morning Sickness – this can range from mild to severely debilitating. Acupuncture can provide immediate and lasting relieve.
- Menopausal Symptoms – hot flushes, nightsweats, mood swings, insomnia are all typical symptoms of menopause and can last from months in some to years in others. From mildly annoying in some to debilitating in others. Acupuncture and herbal therapy help to reduce the frequency and severity of symptoms by helping to balance the hormone levels. It achieves this by balancing the body’s qi or vital energy.
- Endometriosis – this is the presence of endometrial cells (which make up the inner lining of the uterus) outside of the uterus in the pelvic cavity. These cells then ‘bleed’ into this cavity. The body recognises this blood as foreign and so fights it creating a toxic environment. Endometriosis often presents as abnormally heavy and painful bleeding during menstruation. In TCM terms it is caused by blood stagnation or static blood. A diagnosis is made to find out the root cause and then acupuncture and herbs are used to break down this stasis. By maximising blood flow and reducing this immune response.
- PMT/PMS – symptoms can range from irritability, sore breasts, depression, bloating, acne and headache. Acupuncture helps to balance the hormone levels thereby reducing these symptoms